The AHTS's sensory training courses in honey offer students a rare opportunity to be fully immersed in the complex world of honey. Through interactive, self-testing exercises students will be guided through the methods of sensory analysis to taste and evaluate honey at an academic level. Our instructors are beekeepers and have been trained by Italian National Register of Experts in the Sensory Analysis of Honey.
The art of being a honey tasting expert is as complex as being a wine or olive oil sommelier.
* Learn the difference between taste and flavor through sensory exercises.
* Taste and learn 15 important honeys and their floral sources.
* Learn how to identify 9 basic aromas and flavors families found in honeys.
* Enrich your vocabulary using a using the honey aroma and flavor wheel for describing honey.
* Learn to write detailed tasting notes for any honey sample.
* Brush up on the composition and physical properties of honey.
* Understand the how’s and why’s of crystallization and how to evaluate its qualities.
* Learn about the causes of defects in honey and how to avoid them.
* Use your knowledge to confidently pair honey with cheeses, wines and all food groups to compliment sweet or savory dishes.
* Certificate of completion awarded at the end of course. Fully accredited toward advancing to Level I and Level II in Italy.
Seats are limited for each course, travel and accommodations are not included. Travel information.